Saturday 23 March 2013

Bula Vinaka

After another week with Jeff and Sheila it seems appropriate to open this blog with one of their stories.  I do wish Sheila would write a blog as I’m sure this is only the tip of the iceberg...
During Jeff and Sheila’s six weeks in New Zealand there were only two nights which they had pre booked, (months in advance before leaving the UK.)  These were the nights at Milford Sound. There is only one place to stay here; a hostel.  Jeff had studiously booked a double en suite room; a very clever move ensuring privacy and relaxation.  Two days before their ‘expected’ arrival at the hostel Sheila checked the booking confirmation and realised they were booked in for March not February!  Already on their way and not wanting to miss Milford they rang ahead and were relieved to hear the hostel was not fully booked for the actual required dates.   However there were no double rooms left so needless to say Jeff and Sheila ended up in a mixed shared dorm in bunk beds!  I am so pleased that Sheila particularly embraced this experience telling us how she brought home her spare pizza to her ‘roomy’.  Amazing ...

We travelled to Nadi (in Fiji) and then on to Musket Cove, a resort on a small Fijian island called Malolo Lailai, the following morning.  Jeff had booked the trip through an Australian company who turned out to be a nightmare and so he wasn’t surprised when our transfer from the airport was the only broken rusty bus and the hotel in Nadi was tired and quite damaged with tape cordoning off many of the rooms. We all wondered what lay ahead. After some confusion about the boat times we managed to get the correct bus and then boarded the ferry.  It was a beautiful journey and as we dropped people off at the first resort they were greeted with singing and shell necklaces.  I think we were all slightly anxious about what we would find around the corner at Musket Cove....  It was beautiful!  Being a marina meant that there were beautiful yachts lining the resort.  It was so tranquil.  As we exited the boat there were no singers but a golf buggy ready to take us for a tour of the resort, as we set off a van pulled up and a chap jumped out with glasses of tropical juice for us.  We exchanged glances, paradise!  The next few days were filled with swimming, snorkelling, sailing and lots and lots of eating.

As Jeff’s treat we all went out on a twenty two foot sailing boat called Merlin 1.  I loved the idea of sailing; wind in my hair, sun on my face, dolphin spotting as I glide over the pacific ocean.... Bliss....  My actual experience does not quite echo my optimistic hypothetical sailing imagery.  As the wind filled the sails (the wind was quite strong) I felt certain we were on the brink of catastrophe!  The boat leaned at a very unflattering angle and I braced myself with silent anticipation wondering what would happen next.  As Jeff practically squealed with delight all I could think about was the massive gin and tonic I was going to need as soon as I hit shore, to get over this experience (and I don’t usually drink gin).   I did survive the experience and am currently contemplating where I stand with regard to future sailing trips.  Likely with my feet firmly on the ground I feel!

I initially thought Greymouth was small but I never thought I would meet people we had links with in Fiji!  On the third day Jeff and Sheila got chatting to the guys in the next banda.  It turned out that one of the guys had family in Greymouth, a loose link but still quite incredible.  Then something really amazing happened.  As the conversation deepened we realised his mum had recently been in hospital.  Then it clicked.  I had seen is mum during my first set of nights at 7.30 in the morning just before I clocked off.  She had been the sickest person I had ever seen conscious and within seconds of coming through the door her heart rate dropped from 150-30 and she lost output.  I started CPR and as the rest of the team began to arrive she regained output.  For the medically orientated out there the gas I then performed had a pH of 6.8, for those who need a little context this pH isn’t compatible with life.  However she defied the laws and did really well with the treatments that followed and looking back I think she is one person whose life I genuinely saved.  And there I was talking to her son in Fiji.  It was like a little nudge from God saying “that’s why I sent you”.  Suddenly five years of medical school and the move to NZ all seemed to have new value.  I saved a life.

We left Musket Cove on quite a windy day and the journey back was described by Jeff as a “a little choppy” however the Sheila-ometer graded but the greeness to Sheila’s face and level of conversation would suggest that it was a little more than choppy.  We said goodbye and Dan and I spent our last night in Nadi before travelling to see Anna and Andrew in Tauranga.  I intend to write another blog about our adventures with Span (Anna) and Andrew so here are just a couple of other interesting moments during our journey home...

On our way to Tauranga from Hot Water Beach I text a national radio station to request a song.  Ten minutes later we pulled into a petrol station and nipped inside for a comfort stop.  Dan then walked in completely bewildered.  It turned out that as I left the car my phone rang and Dan had a lovely chat with the lady from The Breeze- Tanya.  As he hung up the phone it occurred to him that he had been live on the radio.  Unfortunately we had lost signal for the station and despite frantic tuning we didn’t manage to hear our song.

There are a few golden rules in NZ.  One I will now never forget is-

Fill up with petrol before long journeys.

 After flying back from Auckland to Christchurch we had a three hour drive over Arthurs Pass through the mountain range which separates the two coasts.  It was very late when we set off, perhaps ten pm and I suggested we fill up with petrol in Christchurch, but we had half a tank and Dan doesn’t believe filling up until you have less than half a tank, plus we got distracted by food during the petrol conversation and forgot to revisit it before we left Christchurch . Over the next hour we passed six petrol stations all of which were closed.  I didn’t feel too worried but Dan did and his concern infected me.   Now we were at the point where it would take us two hours to drive back to Christchurch and return to the point we were currently at.  Logic would say “we made it one way on half a tank so we should make it back”, but as the rain hammered down, the thunder and lightning flashed and Dan dodged fallen rocks the voice of logic was not very reassuring.  Dan tried to be optimistic listing off our potential options, his favourite being driving until we ran out of petrol and then sleeping in the car.  It was past midnight, cold, wet and I was due at work at 7.30am, I did not want to hear options like that!  Apparently I was being negative.  Isn’t it amazing how being told you are being negative when you are actually quite scared can turn fear into anger.  That’s a golden rule Dan won’t forget!  I’m being slightly dramatic, Dan and I worked fabulously as a team to solve the problem- he told me to sleep and I told him to get us home alive- sorted!  We made it to the village at the pass, the only stretch with signal, and text a friend to say where we were and if we didn’t turn up to work it was because we were stuck on the Pass with no petrol.  Her response was that she had driven half the journey with the petrol light on and had been fine, this was a hugely calming message and we made the final stretch of the journey in a relatively relaxed manner (mainly because I was asleep!)

We had a great week with Jeff and Sheila.  After another week of work we were blessed to have a second weekend with Anna and Andew- another blog to follow shortly!

Much love

S x 

No comments:

Post a Comment